Our dentists at Milburn Dental have put together this infographic for our patients who want to maintain optimal dental health throughout their lives.
Kid-friendly dental care
- Using a washcloth, gently clean your baby’s gums. This gets your baby used to oral care.
- Start brushing when the first tooth appears and floss when the teeth start to touch.
- Teach older children to brush twice a day and floss once a day. Use a pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Take your child to the dentist twice a year. Make the trips a positive experience at a younger age
- Ask your dentist about additional treatments. Consider fluoride and sealants for permanent teeth
Adult techniques for healthy teeth
- Brush twice and floss once daily. This removes plaque and prevents decay.
- See your dentist every 4-6 months – regular check-ups can catch problems early.
- Be alert for gum disease symptoms like red, swollen, or bleeding gums.
- Limit intake of sugary or starchy foods, as the contribute to plaque buildup.
- Talk to your Milburn Dental professional about cosmetic treatments like whitening, veneers, and other options to improve your smile
Savvy senior strategies for dental health
- Maintain a good brushing and flowing routine. An electric toothbrush can make brushing a little easier.
- Try toothpaste that reduces sensitivity, as this is common in seniors.
- Many medications can cause dry mouth so talk to your dentist about dry mouth treatments.
- Discuss any health conditions that affect your overall health, such as heart disease, diabetes, or other issues, with your dentist.
- Get treated for partial or total tooth loss. Dentures and implants are great options.
For more information contact our dental office in Vancouver at (604) 251-4000.